You don’t need a spice kingdom to make a tasty tofu scramble. You just need 15 minutes and a 3 key dry ingredients to make this brunch worthy recipe.
I never, ever thought I would do a recipe for tofu scramble. But stirring it in the pan actually made me kind of happy.
Since I grew up eating lots of tofu, I actually like the taste of it. I don’t feel the need to make it taste like something else, nor do I care to mush it like mashed potatoes.
However if you really love eggs for breakfast but are now vegan or want to cut back on animal products, this is the a wonderful alternative.
4 Ingredient Tofu Scramble Seasoning Mix
I have seen a lot of recipes with an extensive seasoning mix for a tofu scramble. IMHO, you just need 4 simple ingredients.
- 1 part turmeric
- 2 parts onion powder
- 6 parts nutritional yeast – This adds “meatiness” and the slight sulfuric aroma you get from actual eggs.
- salt to taste – for me this is 1 part pink Himalayan salt
And don’t forget the love and positive vibes. If you’re stirring it with hatred in your heart, it is not going to taste good. (Yes, I’ve tried doing it that way.)
Hot sauce on top afterwards helps too.
Types of Tofu – use Firm or Extra Firm
The tofu that comes in a white plastic carton with a plastic top can come in 4 very different variations.
You will want to use the one labeled Firm or Extra Firm. This means it has less water and is all together more sturdier than a medium/medium firm or soft/silken version.
You could use a medium firm tofu, but you will need to stir fry it longer to remove excess water. Or press it between 2 heavy plates with a weight on top to remove extra water.
Stay away from soft or silken tofu which is used for soups, such as soondubu, or Korean soft tofu stew.
What’s with the Zucchini?
If you’re not a fan of mushy things, you will love the addition of zucchini.
Again, it’s not in my DNA to eat mushed tofu, so the zucchini adds textural contrast.
If you don’t like zucchini, you could substitute:
- Corn kernels
- Diced bell Peppers
- Sliced mushrooms
- Swiss chard
- Cauliflower florets
Or you can skip the veg all together if you just want to have plain “eggs”.
Time needed: 15 minutes.
How to Make Quick Tofu Scramble
- Chop zucchini
Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and slice into each half into 1/4″ half moons.
- Mush tofu
Put the tofu block into a bowl, and mush it into small clumps with your hands or a fork.
- Heat pan to medium heat
Add the oil to a nonstick pan or well seasoned wok/cast iron pan. If you don’t have a nonstick pan, the tofu is likely to stick and make a hard to clean mess.
- Stir fry zucchini
Add the zucchini to the pan. I prefer adding a pinch of salt to bring out the flavor of the squash. If you don’t like zucchini, you can use another vegetable, such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or corn.
- Stir fry for 3-4 minutes until the zucchini is cooked through.
If the zucchini browns that is perfectly fine!
- Add tofu and spices to the pan.
Dump it all in! Stir fry until the tofu is cooked through and any residual water from the tofu has evaporated. This should take 2-3 minutes or longer, depending on how watery the tofu is.
- Serve hot
Although it doesn’t taste bad cold either. Top with your favorite hot sauce and serve with toast, fruit, or anything else for high protein morning meal.
You could make this dish ahead of time and reheat it. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Stir fry in a nonstick pan until heated through.
More Easy Vegan Recipes
Easy Vegan Wild Rice Fried Rice with just 7 ingredients
The Greatest Vegan Lasagna Sandwich of All Time
Vegan Green Bean Casserole with Coconut Milk (only 7 ingredients)
Quick Tofu Scramble with 4 Ingredient Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 block firm or extra firm tofu
- 1/2 Tb oil avocado oil or olive oil recommended
- 1/2 ea zucchini sliced into half moons
4 Ingredient Tofu Scramble Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 Tb nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt or 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- Mush the block of tofu with your hands or a fork into small clumps.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the zucchini and stir fry until the zucchini is cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan. Stir fry until the tofu is heated through and any water from the tofu has evaporated. This should take around 2-3 minutes.
- Taste for any additional salt and pepper and serve hot.
- You could use medium or medium firm tofu, but you’ll need to stir fry it longer to remove excess liquid. Or you can press it between two plates with a weight on top (for at least 30 min in the fridge) to remove extra water.
- It really helps if you use a nonstick or other well seasoning pan. Tofu that hasn’t been pre-fried can stick so easily to a pan just like actual eggs.
- Add a pinch of salt when stir frying the zucchini, if you like to have every single morsel in this dish seasoned.
- You don’t have to use the zucchini at all. I think a vegetable just adds extra texture, so the dish isn’t so mushy. Bell peppers, mushrooms, or a corn would work very nicely too.
- Garnish with your favorite hot sauce, black pepper, or condiment of your choice. Ketchup works too!
- This dish is best served hot but can be chilled, reheated, and eaten within 3 days.
I made this tofu scramble last night and it was super delicious! Everybody loved it. I will definitely make this recipe again. Thanks.
How wonderful to hear! Thank you so much for the feedback and for trying the recipe. 🙂